Symptoms & The Top Treatment Options for a Ligament Tear Singapore
The ligaments found in the knee can be torn for different reasons. Ligament rupture can be a partial or a total rupture, which can affect the type of knee pain treatments the doctor will advise you. There are four main ligaments found in the knee which helps to connect the femur and tibia, and such are the following:
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL)
- Posterior cruciate ligament (PCL)
- Medial collateral ligament (MCL)
- Lateral collateral ligament (LCL)
When you have a ruptured ligament, it can be difficult to function and do your daily activities. With proper knowledge of ligament tear causes/reasons and symptoms, avoiding this injury won’t be a problem.
Symptoms of Ligament Tear
- There is visible swelling in the injured knee, which starts to turn purple because of the area’s improper blood flow. Blood build-up from the injured ligament induces swelling.
- A partially broken ligament does not produce a pop sound, whereas a fully ruptured ligament produces a pop sound.
- The knee can’t work correctly, and you may feel you can’t manage it.
Treatment Options for Knee Pain: Knee Pain from Ruptured Ligaments
A ruptured ligament in the knee, depending on the severity of the injury, can take a long time to recover. In the case of a minor ligament tear, taking a good amount of rest and proper anti-inflammatory medications is good enough to treat the injury for a few weeks. But for severely ruptured ligaments, there are standard treatment options to treat the injury completely and such includes:
- Physical Therapy Treatment: Physical therapy exercises for particular ligaments will help repair damage to ligaments and restore full knee function.
- Bracing: Using a knee brace or crutch can help the knee stabilize and stop lateral movement, which can cause ligament injury and prevent healing.
- Knee Surgery Treatment: Regular care can not work with extreme injuries associated with other lesions, and the doctor will most probably prescribe a knee surgery treatment as a solution in those situations.